If you haven’t already noticed, TikTok is everywhere. Although it’s a standalone app, videos from the TikTok platform are being shared on social media platforms everywhere. It’s social media’s latest and greatest star, with the potential for its video creators to go viral over and over again.
Because TikTok is so widely popular, it’s crucial that all social media marketers understand how to use it. The organic reach on TikTok is still high, so it’s easy for brands to reach a wide audience right now.
In this post, we’ll show you how to make TikTok videos and post it to your feed. Let’s jump right in.
Don't feel like reading? Watch the vlog
TikTok is an important tool for social media marketers right now because of the platform’s vast reach into wide and varied audiences. Brands that use the platform well have the potential to go viral not just once, but many times over. TikTok has launched a number of influencers and artists to stardom around the world–many of whom came to the platform from its predecessor, Musica.ly.
TikTok has the highest engagement rates of any social media platform, from small to large accounts. It’s popular among a variety of demographics, but is particularly popular among Gen Z users. With 800 million active daily users around the world, that means your brand stands a good chance of taking off if you post consistent content that’s in line with the general tone and feel of the platform.
Generally, TikTok videos are humorous, fun, and sometimes downright hilarious. They tend to showcase amusing content and artistic expression. Given the widespread popularity of TikTok, it’s likely where your clients’ audience is, so you want to be there, too.
Here’s a great example of a major brand that is using TikTok well: The San Diego Zoo. In the following video, the zoo used audio from a popular TikTok star, Parker James, to add a bit of humor to a video of some of its wildlife.
Hello there noodle hair. ” /> ” />
How to Make Videos on TikTok
Creating and posting basic videos to TikTok is simple, although there are multiple types of videos you can create on the platform. Let’s go through the process step by step.
1. Open the TikTok app and tap the plus button in the bottom center of the screen to get started.
2. Next, you’ll see a screen that allows you to get started choosing your settings. First, choose whether you want to create a 15-second or 60-second video. You’ll find those options at the bottom of the screen.
3. The app screen displays buttons that allow you to select effects, sounds, files to upload, video speed, filters, timer, and more.
4. If you want to use a video effect, just tap the Effects button to the left of the record button.
When you select Effects, you’ll see a menu that allows you to preview the video effects before you pick one.
5. Once you’ve chosen your Effect, it’s time to pick a sound for your video. Tap Sounds in the top center of the screen to pick your tune.
When you search for sounds on TikTok, you can choose from a variety of trending sounds, use a sound from someone else’s video, or search for one you want. (If you choose to use someone else’s video sound, you’ll have to start your video from theirs by selecting the sound at the bottom left of your screen.)
Search for your song. You can tap to preview it. Once you’ve chosen which one you want to use, tap the pink check mark beside it.
6. Film your video. TikTok allows you to film your videos one clip at a time, while keeping the sound seamless throughout. You can stop, start, and redo sections of video until you’re satisfied with the final outcome.
7. Add text, further effects, or stickers to your video next. The menu at the bottom of the screen displays the edits you can make.
When you add text, the tool allows you to display a solid or translucent colour background. Be sure to place your text in the relative center of the screen, as you’ll have a caption covering the bottom of your video when it displays in the feed.
Feel free to place several bits of text all at once. You can then edit the blocks of text and set a duration for how long each displays on screen.
8. Once you have your text, sound, and effects good to go, it’s time to add a caption and hashtags. Click Next in the bottom right corner of your screen to continue.
On the next screen, fill in your caption and a few relevant hashtags. TikTok will show you hashtags to choose from while you type, and choosing from these suggestions can help you tap into popular topics.
Additionally, you can set the privacy on your video, then toggle whether you’ll allow other TikTok users to comment, Duet, or Stitch your videos.
If you want the option of uploading your TikTok videos to different platforms, then select “Save to device” before posting. Alternatively, you can automatically share to select apps.
To publish your video, click the pink Post button at the bottom of the screen. You’re all set!
TikTok Video Best Practices
Before you get started posting TikTok content, here are some best practices you need to follow. Following these tips will help you get started creating the best possible content for the platform.
● Use Vertical Video. TikTok is a vertical video platform because it’s mobile-focused, and works best with video in a vertical format. Horizontal video on TikTok forces the user to turn their phone around in order to view a video.
● Add a Music Clip or Background Soundtracks. Music clips, sound clips, and background soundtracks are an essential part of the TikTok platform. Many creators use clips for lip sync videos or to add humour.
● Include a Call to Action. Include a call to action in your videos. You can drive your followers to take a specific action, like watching a part 2 of your video, doing a duet with you, or visiting the link in your profile. (Note: only users with 1000 followers and up have a link on their profile.)
● Include Captions. Including captions is important for accessibility for the hard-of-hearing and deaf. Captions also allow people to access content even with the sound off, which is significant since approximately 83% of mobile users do watch video with the sound off at least sometimes.
● Carefully Read and Follow TikTok’s Terms of Service. TikTok is vigilant about accounts and content that violate its TOS. Posting content that violates TikTok’s terms can get your profile shadowbanned, your content taken down, and could even result in your brand being kicked off the platform.
TikTok is a fantastic platform for a variety of brands looking to entertain and engage their audiences. If your clients’ target audiences are likely to be on TikTok, then that’s where you need to spend some time focusing. Many brands have built a strong organic following through TikTok. With consistency and the right tone, your clients’ brands could go viral, too.